My Rooted Technology

Thanks to Geniaus for yet another meme. You can tell she has retired and has plenty of time on her hands. Half her luck!


If you want to join Geniaus and others in the fun and show off your own tech cred, here are the rules for the My Rooted Technology meme:

  • Technology you already use: bold face type
  • Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize (color optional)
  • Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
  • Explain or give opinions in brackets [ ] at the end of each bullet point
  1. I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy [I have been an Apple fan since my first purchase in 1984, so naturally I have an iPad]
  2. I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device. [So many, some for pleasure, some for genealogy, others for productivity and lots just to check out for possible educational value.]
  3. I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media. [Two Australian ones]
  4. I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved
  5. I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos. [Like Geniaus I am a librarian but I still have to do something with my images - perhaps this is a holiday job]
  6. I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website.
  7. I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research.
  8. I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  9. I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy.
  10. I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research.
  11. I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device.
  12. I use a genealogy database program (Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, RootsMagic etc.) [Reunion for Mac and The Next Generation of Genealogy Software (TNG) - another holiday job to get ready for public access
  13. I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data. [I have a Dropbox account and store on iCloud]
  14. I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  15. I have attended a genealogy webinar.
  16. I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy.
  17. I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research.
  18. I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy. [Don't use it regularly - time is my problem]
  19. I have created and published a family history e-book.
  20. I have created a wiki related to my genealogy research. [Created several wikis but not related to genealogy research]
  21. I have conducted a genealogy webinar as a presenter.
  22. I read genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research. [Like Geniaus, in bed, but usually late at night - email and Facebook in the morning]
  23. I have one or more genealogy-related blogs to help improve my own research.
  24. I have a Twitter account and use it regularly for genealogy. [Have slackened off at the moment - waiting for holidays again]
  25. I have one or more genealogy-related websites which I run and administer.
  26. I have created a screencast or video related to genealogy and posted it at a video sharing site (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.).
  27. I use one or more digital tools to capture and record my family history.

Comments