Accentuate the Positive 2012 Geneameme

Thanks once again to Geniaus for coming up with theAccentuate the Positive 2012 geneameme



At this time of year many geneabloggers take stock of what they have achieved or not achieved in the previous twelve months and set themselves goals for the coming year. I have been reading several of these posts this week.

I feel that a lot of my geneablogging friends are too hard on themselves; several have reported on their successes this year but quite a number have lamented that they haven't achieved as much as they set out to do or that they haven't blogged with the frequency they envisaged.

You are a bunch of highly motivated people who have made great strides in the genealogy sphere. Let's share the good news.


My response

Perhaps I had been one of those who lamented about the lack of progress this year. So for the last hour (or more) I have sat here contemplating my efforts and I have to admit they are not so poor. I just wish I had more time to devote to this exciting pastime. 

1.  An elusive ancestor I found was great great great great grandmother Jane Sawtel (Saltwell) who married Edward Bettis (Bettes) on 24th February 1828, at Stondon-Massey, Essex, England. Until a couple of weeks ago I only knew her name was Jane. 

2.  A precious family photo I found was one of my great, great grandfather John Mylan and members of his family taken in Cooma. Thanks to my aunt who has entrusted this photograph to me.

John Mylan and family, Countegany, Cooma. Taken before 1918.


3.  An ancestor's grave I found was that of my great great grandmother Sarah Jane Merchant who is buried in Tenterfield. I blogged about this earlier in the year. 

Sarah Jane Merchant is buried between two of her children in Tenterfield - mid photo no headstone


4.  An important vital record I found was the baptismal record of my great great grandmother Jane Smith Fleming in Stranraer in 1853. (I'd never actually looked for it before this year!)

5.  A newly found family member and I exchanged our Glock family research.

6.  A geneasurprise I received was a beautiful linen tablecloth circa 1920 with a B embroidered in the corner sent to me from from Eilis, the proprietor of Arsenic and Old Lace in Atlanta Georgia in appreciation for a connection made through my blog posts about Sam Dawson. (1), (2), (3) and (4)


7.   My 2012 blog post that I was particularly proud of was The Humble Apron

8.   My 2012 blog post that received a large number of hits or comments was My First Anniversary Post.

9.  A new piece of software that I still have to master is TNG. My site The Tree of Me is up and running but I only have a small proportion of my data there. Each time I try to upload it all I get an error saying the file is too big. It probably only needs me to spend a little more time trying to solve the problem. 

10. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was Feeddler Pro. I use this as my RSS reader to keep organise my blogs I read. 

11. A genealogy seminar from which I learnt something new was all about the land in NSW. We spent time exploring the Spacial Information eXchange and other sites.

12. I am proud of the presentation I gave at the Coffs Harbour Family History Group on Trove.

13. A journal article I had published was called iPads : Instant access and engagement for students with disabilities in The Australian Educational Leader (Volume 34 Number 2 2012). 

14. I taught a friend how to use google maps so she could make a personal map of all the places here ancestors came from.

15. A genealogy book that taught me something new was Tracing your Railway Ancestors by Di Drummond. 

16. A great archive I visited was the Bedford and Luton Archives and Records Service when I was in England earlier in the year. This led to an interesting discovery about Elis Hare Dawson, my husband's great great grandfather. 

17. Two new books were waiting for me yesterday when I came home from a few days away. I'm looking forward to reading History of Magherafelt, Ireland and Old Stranraer and Cairnryan

18. It was exciting to finally meet Graham one of my Ogden relatives. 

19. A geneadventure I enjoyed was getting a photo taken in Greenock, Scotland at the address my great grandfather, Knox Moore lived before he came to Australia.

20. Another positive I would like to share is that I have made a great start at organising my digital records according to the archival principles of Sassy Jane discussed here. Mind you, this only concerns my paper files. My photos are still a mess and not as simply accessed. Perhaps I'll make progress on this in 2013.

Thanks to Geniaus for starting this meme. It has certainly made me think of all the positives that have happened this year in my quest.

Comments

  1. Sharon,

    For someone who works fulltime and is so involved in your professional network you have made great strides in your ancestor hunting.

    I can only imagine what you will achieve when you are old and gray like me with plenty of time on your hands.

    Thanks for taking up the geneameme challenge.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill
      I just want to know how long I have to wait so that I have plenty of time on my hands.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Sharon. I agree with Jill as Juggling work and family history is a challenge...but the the latter is a sanity saver too:-) Excellent discovery of your 4 x great grandmother. I love the family photo in the bush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauleen
    I agree that family history os a sanity saver. Making the most of the next few weeks before I go back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sharon I would love to have my photo taken at my Great Grandfather's house in Galston, Ayshire, where he lived before coming to Australia!! What a great memento to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There were a lot of 'genealogy positives' in your year, Sharon. Like you, I am a big fan of Sassy Jane's methods but I have not had time to fully process all my records and images.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment